Sunday, March 29, 2015

12.1.14

Hola everybody!

Sorry it´s been awhile. It is so hard to get a group email out in the amount of time that I have on the internet. But I´m alive and doing well!

How was everyone´s thanksgiving? Dominicans don´t celebrate it so there wasnt anything special going on here. Since my comp and I are the only Americans, we made a thanksgiving lunch. Ingredients are limited so we just made chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and onions, butter rolls, and chocolate/coconut cake. It was delicious :) Then we had to go to work. But we got to share some special messages on gratitude which I loved. 

this last saturday we were supposed to have two baptisms but both fell. Two of our youth investigators were supposed to get baptized but didnt. One girl´s mom won´t let her and the other one feels like it´s too hectic of a time in his life. So he´s wants to postpone it. We´re working hard with him to help him understand that this isn´t something he should procrastinate but he´s on the verge of joining an elite beisball program that will determine if he plays professionally or not. Phew. Beisball is a big deal here. Seriously. 

We currently have two weeks left of the transfer. Which means I have two weeks left of my training! Gah! Time has flown. Its mostly likely that my comp will be transferred and I´ll stay in San Juan. But anything could happen. I really don´t want to be seperated from my trainer, I love her so much! but we´ll see....

Christmas celebrations are in full swing here. Downtown they decorated the whole place and created a massive Nativity scene. There´s lights, vending stands, tons of people, and music every night. Tons of people gather there which is great because well, they´re all in one place for us missionaries :) We contact a lot now because the church launched a ¨He is the Gift¨ program. We have special hand out cards to give out. There´s a nice little mormon message on christmas.mormon.org if you want to watch it. I think thats the site.. I don´t know what it is in english. Anyhoo, Christmas time is a wonderful opportunity to meet new people and share a Christmas message. It´s great here because xmas isn´t focused on Santa and gifts. In fact, most families don´t even do gifts on Christmas. It´s all focused on Jesus, as it should be :) When we ask people what they do for christmas, they always talk about how they gather with all their family and help make a huge dinner together. Usually they eat on the 24th too. But I love it because there isn´t the hustle and bustle of buying and wrapping gifts. People just want to be with their family and eat food. I knew I liked this country :)

So as it is with every Christmas, I challenage you to keep in mind the true meaning of aand focus on the greatest gift that each one of us have received and will ever receive. Jesus Christ. He is truly the greatest gift of them all. John 3:16. I´m grateful to be here in The Dominican Republic and serving this people. I really love being a missionary and I love teaching these people, no matter how broken and incorrect my Spanish is. It is the Spirit that teaches and touches each individual life. So live your life in a way that the Spirit can be with you at all times and in all things. As a missionary, I have to be extra careful of my thoughts, words, actions, so that I may always have the Spirit with me. Because if i don´t, then there is no way my investigators would learn anything. Remember that Jesus Christ is the greatest gift, God gave to mankind. And remember that the gift of the Holy Ghost is the second most important gift God gives us after baptism, through someone holding his power and authority- the Priesthood. 

I love you all and I am so grateful for all your love and support! Hope you have a good week!

Con amor,

Hermana Dibble

No comments:

Post a Comment